Wednesday, September 5, 2012

INTRO BLOG

My grown-up children will marvel that their mother has finally entered the 21st century and is starting a blog.  I still prefer scissors and a glue stick when I cut and paste, but they’re working on me.  We really live in such a wondrous age of instant communication and I happen to have a few things on my mind.  Or, perhaps more accurately expressed, in my heart.  So here goes.

I am revealing my age when I tell you we were still using slide rules in math when I graduated from High School.  Just a couple of years later, when my husband and I were in college,  an enterprising salesman sat down in our living room to demonstrate an amazing new piece of technology: the calculator.  It not only added and subtracted, it multiplied and divided. That’s seriously all it did.  And we just had to have it, even though it had a hefty price tag of $75.00 in a day when we were earning a whopping dollar an hour.

I know, I know.  Get to the point.  You'll give me seven seconds and then  you’re done with me.  Which is exactly the point.   Amazing as our technology is—and I wouldn’t give it up for anything—it comes with a cost.  Researchers claim that young brains have become re-wired in one generation to accommodate the explosion of information that requires minds that are quick to access, assess and move on.  That's a good thing. It is the great age of the mind.

 What is being left behind is the ability to slow down, ponder  and especially feel.  The ability to empathize; to respond to the world in an emotional way is diminishing.   And that’s not a good thing.  Mind without heart is as dangerous as heart without mind.To you young minds that need documentation and verification–the research, the proof--of what I just said, it’s coming.  But not yet.  It’s going to take a little time to unfold these ideas.

So I hope you’ll stay with me.  All I will say for today is, I believe the prescriptive remedy for balancing out the equation between mind and heart---- it all starts with a story . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment